Wednesday, August 24, 2005

THE LIFE AQUATIC

I've gotten out onto the river in a small boat.

I know zip about boats. It's too dark to try to start the motor, but I pushed off from the dock and let it drift. After a quarter hour, I was far from both shores, so I dropped the anchor and waited. It works, I'm too far from shore. They stagger along the banks, but they don't notice me out here.

I think they see heat. Winter's going to suck at first, but I bet they can't take freezing. They're already getting scarce.

There's one I keep seeing, a pitiful thing. She must have been a teenager. The ones who killed her ripped her stomach open, and broke her jaw. She shuffles along as if her ankles are hobbled, wearing a t-shirt that says GREEN DAY, and yes, she is pretty green by now. Her mouth won't close and she wobbles as if her spine is broken. She's slowing down. Maybe she's starving for lack of brains.

Maybe they're all going to starve eventually. Then what?

No internet signal here. I'll send when I can.
At least I can sleep safely for one night. But I'm hungry... and how was your day?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home